Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Baby Ruth

When I was a kid, I was the first girl to play on an all boys baseball team in my little league. Because little boys aren't the biggest fans of little girls, I became a human target every time I was up to bat. After being hit a few times, it should come as no surprise that I became afraid of the ball. I remember actually crying while waiting to bat. I would get yelled at by the umpire to step inside the box. I was so scared that I would often close my eyes or jump out of the box as the pitcher threw the ball. If I was lucky enough to not strike out, and was walked, or hit, I would smile big as I made my way to first base. I was a fast little kid and my revenge was stolen bases. I would tease the pitchers and catchers and steal bases every chance I got. My team actually won a few games because I stole home. On the last game of the season I begged my Dad to let me pitch. I was the shortstop and had never stepped foot on the pitchers mound. My dad said I could pitch if I got a hit. I was determined to hit the ball. I used my fear to feed my adrenaline. I made my way to the plate and look hard into the eyes of the pitcher. I gripped my bat tight and waited for the pitch. What happened next I still don't quite remember. Next thing I knew I was rounding first and then passing second. The third base coach put his hands up motioning for me to stop but I kept running to third and made my way to home. I hit a homerun. Babe Ruth once said, "Don't let the fear of striking hold you back". Life is like a baseball game. Step up to bat and swing big!

Fun Fact: Babe Ruth struck out 1330. We don't remember him for his strike outs. It is his 714 homeruns that we celebrate!

Joshua 1:9"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home