Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Somethin' Out of Nothin'

Today I was driving up Fairfax toward 3rd in Los Angeles. Just before the corner of the streets, I noticed a huge cardboard sign taped to a light post. It was a dirty piece of what looked to be the side of an old box. Scribbled writing in permanent marker read, "Hello my name is Robert. I am trying to get off the streets. I am selling ice cold water for 75 cents. Thank you." As I got closer to 3rd street I noticed another sign from Robert reading the exact same thing. While waiting at the stoplight I reached in my pocket and pulled out a dollar bill. I rolled down my window and waited for Robert to make his way over to my car. Almost every car at that intersection had their window down as well. With water bottles practically falling out of his hands he graciously made his way to each car. Just as the light was turning green he approached my car with a friendly smile. I took a second to look into the eyes of a stranger and for a moment felt as if I had been touched by an angel. He thanked me for the money and continued to bring water to the other people that waited patiently in their cars. As I humbly drove away, I was as reminded of all the great things God can do. I look at my life sometimes and see areas that I need to change. I make excuses for everything. I never have the money, the time, or the resources. Today, a man who literally had nothing thought," What can I do with what I have?" He used what little money he had to buy a marker, some ice, and a case of bottled water. If a man can make something out of nothing, imagine what God can do.
Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated, as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish. When they had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, "Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted." - John 6:11-12
Take time this week to make the most of what you have. Don't let any gifts, or resources be wasted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home