Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Heaven

Monday I had a redeye flight from Los Angeles to Jackson, Mississippi. It has been four long months since I have felt the warmth of my loves arms wrapped around me. Four months, since I have felt his gentle kiss, and had his hands to wipe away my tears. I have been battling with the flu since last week and was dreading being "that girl" on the flight who couldn't stop coughing. To add insult to injury, people on the redeye don't seem to be big fans of yappy Chihuahuas in the middle of the night. I was 'that girl". The coughing, Buttercups barking…It was a disaster. My first flight left at 12:50am and landed in Houston at 5:40am. Buttercup and I weren't the most popular ones on the flight. Once in Houston, I had an hour layover. While sitting at my gate daydreaming about my love, three little boys caught my eye. They were spread out across four or five chairs. They ranged in age from about five to maybe nine years old. They looked so cute cuddled up on one another. Once onboard, I realized they were seated directly across from me. I couldn't wait for the plane to take off so that I could try to sleep for the remainder of the flight. Once the flight attendants voice silenced from the intercom, I closed my eyes at last to sleep. Just then, I heard shouting from across the aisle. People on the flight gave dirty looks to the boys across from me. This was their first time on a plane. They shouted with excitement as the plane went faster and faster down the runway. Once we lifted off the ground, they shouted with joy and stared out the window with amazement. I smiled at them and rejoiced silently with their enthusiasm. I slowly closed my eyes again attempting to sleep. I could still hear the little boys whispering to one another about all the amazing things they had just experienced. I sat wondering where their parents were during the flight. Our plane broke through the clouds and we were soaring high above the clouds. One of the little boys shouted, "We did it! We're in Heaven!" This comment tickled my heart. I was sick, tired and frustrated by my barking little dog, and these boys across from me were in Heaven. What has happened to our childlike innocence? After I got off the flight and was waiting for my bags, an exhausted woman standing next to me looked over at me and gave a tired smile. With a voice of desperation, she explained to me how she was worried about what she was going to do with her nephews. They had just been dropped into her life without warning and she was overwhelmed. Her nephews were the boys from the plane. I stood in silence wondering what tragedy had taken these boys away from their parents and carried them into the arms of an unexpected family member. She was tired and scared. She was now a mother of three. As I walked away, I was reminded of the boys comments about Heaven. I can't help but wonder how many special moments these boys will bring to this woman's life. Sometimes, when tragedy hits, we become overwhelmed by circumstances. Don't let circumstances prevent you from seeing little pieces of Heaven. I think God sends us little glimpses of it now and again. Don't miss your moment because your eyes are closed.
Matthew 19:14, 15
Jesus said, "Let the little ones come to me, and don't prevent them. For of such is the Kingdom of Heaven. And he put his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home