Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sticks and Stones

The other day I came across a pageant bulletin board (Yes they do exist) and was broken hearted to find what a small group of strangers had to say about me. Masked behind the sarcasm was a piece of truth that pulled deep on my heart. My biggest fear for myself was staring at me through my computer screen. I was to some of them a failure. A has been. For the last four years I have battled with this very complex for myself. To see my own hidden fears written out for the world to see, I found myself feeling surprisingly inspired. It was almost as if for the first time I felt myself defending myself. At twenty-two, I am yet to have all of my dreams come true. How does that make me a failure? How boring would life be if we accomplished all our dreams on the first try? We are not defined by or successes, but by the character we develop through our failures. Yes, I have fallen many times, but I am proud to say that I always get up. I look at my life and see all the things I want to do, but sometimes it’s important for me to remind myself of all I have already done. I have been blessed with an amazing life. I am genuinely happy. No one can ever take that away from me. Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”. Words do hurt, but take them with a grain of salt. A wise man once said, “Insults should be written in sand, compliments should be carved in stone”. Next time someone insults you, remember to words we used as children, “I’m rubber and your glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you”. If someone tries to bring you down this week, maybe it’s because they are trying to bring your down to their size.

Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:2, NLT

1 Comments:

Blogger Evelyn said...

Tami:
For sometime now I have felt the need to write to you, I have felt that you need a hug.....so here is my hug to you!!

Your blog this week just shows how strong you are, yes all of your dreams haven't come true yet but they will. You have the faith and the courage to follow thoses dreams. Remember that Roma was not builded in a day and so your dreams will take some time. The main thing is to stay true to yourself, believe in yourself, believe in God and he will show you the right time and path.

I have faith in you and am looking forward to hearing about you in the future.

I am happy to hear that you are happy, so many young people today are not happy with themselfs so they have a very hard time finding their true path.

Please know that I think that you are a very wonderful young woman and I truly believe that you have greater things and wonderful things coming into your life.

May God keep you and bless you,

Evelyn

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home